Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Flappin Away

Almost finished the left hand flap today.  All I need to do is install a piece of trailing edge from the donor aileron tomorrow.  Feels good to be productive.  It might of been a small thing, but its progress.  Also tore down the right flap and forgot about a surprise I had to fix the last time.  The first time I rebuilt this plane, the only control surface that I had that was good was the left flap.  The right flap made contact with the fuselage when it was wrecked previously and I had to put a doubler on the end.  This time, no need for a doubler, just a fix to the end rib and brace.  But since I'm kicking the flaps out another four inches ( extend the flaps so I have less wing root to build) I needed to remove the doubler and install another one that was longer.

Also got up earlier this morning to see a few friends off to Afghanistan.  They will be there only a short while, three months, but keep them in the back of your mind.  It was sure nice to get out and say bye before they left and let them know how well I'm healing.  Also thanked them for keeping the C-130s working, because no matter how much I love flying planes, it really comes down to the maintainers who do the most rewarding work.

Went to physical therapy as well.  Things are progressing right along.  Hope to be back to walking unassisted by the end of the week.  Might be a stretch, but I sure miss flying.  Its like putting salt in the wound every day I spend out at Lake Hood, but as long as I make progress on the cub I'll survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment