Sunday, June 12, 2011

Progress

Making progress... slowly.  Bought a spar last week for my left aileron.  Brought my jig out of hibernation (under the shed) and set it up at the lake.  Got quite a bit of work done on the aileron Friday.  All the attach points are set, now its just adding the ribs and leading edge pieces.  Hope to have it done Monday or Tuesday.

My Aileron Jig and ailerons.
Been doing a lot of research into lightning the plane up.  My goal is 1100lbs empty weight.  Before the accident, she weighed in at 1156lbs.  Not sure how I'm going to loose 56lbs, but I'm going to shed it, ounce by ounce.  Thinking about using carbon fiber in places where heavier aluminum has been used in the past.  Also learning how the process of using carbon fiber fabric works.  Sounds like its a lot like fiber glass, but instead of using layers and layers of fiber glass, you only need 1 or 2 layers of carbon fiber.  To be continued...

My ankles are doing good.  I went to the doctor on Friday with hopes of being in a walking cast.  No such luck, but I got back in a week.  I hope to be ready to go back to work July 1.  I've been walking around the house without my braces on, making baby steps.  Physical therapy is going well also.  They think I should be up to speed by July 1 also.  Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment