Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Making Noise

The past few days I've been extremely busy.  I finished up on the prop strike AD on the motor for 29A.  Seems to check out just fine.  VERY exciting news, as it only cost me about $20 for the parts.  The engine is now put back together in the hangar and I'm working on rebuilding the baffling.  Its going to fit a lot better the second time, as I have an infinite amount of time to fix it.  My goal is to have the engine together for hunting season, that way if a friend needs to borrow the engine to keep up with their schedule, it will be ready and waiting.  I have an engine mount that I'm going to dig out of the shed and install after I get the baffling figured out.  Going to have to start putting some money at her now.  I need to buy an oil cooler, valve cover (which I'm currently bidding on on eBay), mag harnesses, and an air box.  About close to $1000 worth of goodies.

With the need of money, and having no money, sounds like I need to go back to work.  I let Era Alaska know that I'm fit for flight, and they were extremely happy to put me back to work.  I start work this upcoming weekend, then I have a few days off, but then I start up again the 1st of July and continue work until the 15th.  The best part is, I won't have to travel very far this time, unlike the commute to Barrow.  I'm being based out of Anchorage in the company's straight freight (no crabby passengers) Beech 1900C.  Hearing this brought a smile to my face.  I will miss Barrow, but being based at home I can continue to goto school this fall, and most of all, work on the cub!

I passed my 135 check ride on Monday in the Beaver.  It was very last minute, but everything went well.  I had two FAA examiners on board.  One was getting checked out in the Beaver so they were just along for the ride.  Both very nice people and surprised with my ability to man-handle such a beastly machine. I was all smiles the entire flight.

My plans for the near future on the cub are to finish the engine section up, then start with fabricating a new panel.  I'm going to build it out of plexiglass first, and install all the gauges.  My idea behind this is to see if everything fits where I'd like it to go.  I also found a fuselage that I deem worthy of using.  I plan on trying to grab it in the next day or two and bring it to the sandblaster to get it sandblasted and figure out which tubes need to be repaired/replaced.  Once done there, I'll bring it to the welder and have the mods installed that I want.  I think I might change my course, instead of starting with the wings, I'll build up the fuselage first.  Going to cost more, but in the long run, I'll have something to sit in and make airplane noises!

No comments:

Post a Comment