Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A Wake Up Call

I got woke up this morning by the a phone call from my friend at the powder coater.  He told me that I could come in and sandblast my fuselage myself if I wanted to save some money.  I jumped out of bed and headed right over.  He had me finish up some of his projects before we rolled my fuselage in.  I now have a whole new respect for the guys at the powder coating shop... this is tedious work.  It takes forever to just clean a section and it is extremely messy.

I got most of the tail sandblasted, and some of the front done.  I wanted to blast the tail to see exactly how much I would need to repair in a few weeks.  The left longeron has a few holes in about the last 6 feet of tubing.  The great part is, there is a tubing splice at about the 7 foot mark, so I'll just cut this tube out on both sides and have them replaced.  Better to do both now, rather than one now, and another one in about 5 years when the plane is recovered.  I knew when I got the deal I got on the fuselage, that there would be some repairs required.  So far, so good though.

I plan on going in tomorrow morning early and finishing up blasting the fuselage.  Then I plan on taking it to Lake Hood where I'll build some floorboards and start with some of the interior.  I have a date at the welder's of July 15, and I don't want to waste any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment