Saturday, June 4, 2011

She Turns to the Right a bit...

Had a busy day yesterday with doctor's appointments.  Didn't get much done on the cub, but did seen to straighten and finish the right hand aileron.  This means I have one more control surface to tackle, the left hand aileron.  THe left one is by far the worst out of all my control surfaces.  I have to completely strip this aileron of its ribs and leading edges due to the spar being bent.  The best part is, the spar can not be spliced where it is damaged... this means I get to buy a new one.  Not bad though, one donor aileron, and I'll only have $98 into repairing all the flaps and ailerons, versus around $700 worth of parts if I were to buy all new parts.  Very thankful for the free things I've gotten.

Plan on going out to the lake tomorrow to see if the hangar is open to tear down the left aileron.  Also, start removing usable parts from my cowlings and tank covers.  This week I want to build up a set of floorboards out of 0.040" Aluminum and also an instrument panel.  I know, I don't have a fuselage yet, but if I rough cut these, it'll make me feel like I'm making progress.  Also, going to bring the engine over to the lake and continue the prop strike AD that is required to be done.  Then the following week build up some baffeling.  Let's see if I can keep this schedule.  Below are some pictures of the progress made.

This is the right flap... forgot I had to repair the spar with a doubler the last time.  Good thing it didn't get bent this time.

One seriously bend left aileron.  Hard to tell in the picture but it bends about twenty degrees up were it's dinted int eh center.

Fixed right aileron, ready to cover and fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment