Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Tear Down Begins

Tore apart my donor aileron today.  What a gold mine of parts!  I also tore apart the left flap.  Only the bent areas I should say.  I cut a piece of the donor aileron's spar in hopes to do a spar splice, but it didn't work out.  Tomorrow I'll bend up a spar doubler and splice in a new section of spar for the additional four inches of flap required for the flap to be extended inboard when I get my new fuselage.  Progress made me feel good about the project.  Its so far from being done again, but still brought a smile to my face.  I wish it were someone else's cub I was fixing, but I believe God is teaching me a few lessons through this.  I think the biggest lesson is patience.  The next lesson is how lucky and privileged I am to be able to fly.  Tomorrow will be another good day, hopefully completing both flaps so I can move onto an aileron or even the floor boards.

Here's the donor aileron being torn down.


Left hand flap damage.  Wasn't hit too bad, but I'm removing the damaged parts and extending it inboard four inches.


This is what 29A might look like the next time around.  So far, everyone likes this out of the many concepts drawn.  Thanks Ian for another great concept... now if he'll just help with all the taping and painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment