Sunday, July 10, 2011

Letting the Imagination run Wild

Today, I've been doing a lot of research on tools I'd like to buy to help with my rebuild.  Also been trying to find the cheapest place to buy the best tools.  I'm going to end up getting a bead roller with an 18" throat.  This tool will help tremendously with my interior pieces and my cargo doors.  I want to add some strength in the thinner kydex I plan on using for my interior, so the beaded roller will add a bead to the panels for rigidity and a bit more style.  I know the interior is a ways out yet, but I want to order the beaded roller and practice before I order my interior kydex and mess a $150 sheet up.

I've also been looking at some forums online, about building interior panels out of kydex for aircraft.  I've come up with some pretty cool ideas to try that will hide the pulleys for my flap cables and possibly my aileron and elevator cables.  Anything to add a bit more style in the plane, and minimal weight is worth a shot to me.  I'll be cutting some patterns out of wood and then heat treating the kydex.  I plan on taking a ton of pictures of this so I can share how to do this type of stuff with people.  Also, so I can possibly pick up a bit of side work once I have my project completed.

I have Monday and Tuesday off.  I plan on being at the sandblasters first thing tomorrow morning to finish up my fuselage and a bit of work he might have set aside for me to do.  I hope to be at the welders by July 15th, and start with the modifications and the fixes my new fuselage requires.  Every time I think about this, I get excited.  I hope the fuselage comes out as pretty as I envision it.  If so, 29A is going to be one sexy plane.

My fuselage in the sandblasting booth. 

After the welders, I'm going to bring the fuselage to Lake Hood to start with the interior, panel, boot cowl and cheeks, cargo doors, and windows.  Pretty much whatever I can do before I bring the fuselage back to the powder coaters.

No comments:

Post a Comment